What you need to know:

Radon is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, naturally occurring, radioactive gas that is formed from the decay of radium. It is one of the heaviest substances that remains a gas under normal conditions and is considered to be a health hazard.

Breathing high concentrations of radon can cause lung cancer. Thus, radon is considered a significant contaminant that affects indoor air quality worldwide.

Radon gas from natural sources can accumulate in buildings, especially in confined areas such as basements.

Depending on how buildings are built and ventilated, radon may accumulate in basements and dwellings. Radon concentrations in the same location may differ over a period of time/season. Also, the concentration in one room of a building may be significantly different than the concentration in an adjoining room.

Radon gets in through:

  • Cracks in solid floors
  • Construction joints
  • Cracks in walls
  • Gaps in suspended floors
  • Gaps around service pipes
  • Cavities inside walls
  • The water supply

Further information can be found on the HSE website

What you need to do:

Establish whether Radon gas is a problem in your building and take action to correct it.

How can we help?

We can provide the following:

  • 48 hour radon test - this will establish the level of the problem if there is one.
  • A three month test if necessary - this is normally only necessary if the 48 hour test shows a significant level of Radon in the building.
  • Survey report on the results of the test.
  • Recommendations for reduction of Radon gas in the building.
  • Advice on remedial work to cure the problem.