What you need to know:
The removal of old paint layers can generate large amounts of dust, with are seriously harmful if ingested or inhaled. Inappropriate preparation and removal of surfaces containing old lead paint, during renovation and repainting work, can create an additional source of lead-containing dusts and fumes.
As long as lead paint is in good condition, and the surface hasn't been broken, the paint doesn't pose a serious health threat. The problem comes when the lead paint starts deteriorating, when lead dust and flakes of lead paint begin accumulating on surfaces such as window sills, counter tops, and floors, as well as on children's toys, clothes, and bedding. It can also contaminate soil around the house. Children, who have a tendency to put their hands and other objects in their mouth, are at an increased risk of accumulating harmful amounts of lead in their bodies.
What we can do:
We are able to provide a trusted paint testing service that includes sampling and analysis to determine levels of lead in samples. Our experienced staff can visit site to carry out a survey of the paint systems present and take the appropriate samples for analysis. Providing you with important information will give you peace of mind and allow you to undertake any appropriate measures with your existing paint work.
What the regulations say:
There is no specific limit for lead in paint but, for guidance, the HSE Control of Lead at Work Regulations, 2002, Section 65, classes lead contents of less than 1% Pb as being in a category where work with lead is not liable to result in significant exposure.